Behavioral Health Director
United Indian Health Services, headquartered in Arcata, California, operates seven Tribal Health Program outpatient clinics with medical, dental, behavioral health, vision and community health & welfare services across Humboldt and Del Norte counties. We employ highly qualified clinical, social service and support staff professionals and are embarking on a nationwide Behavioral Health Director search for an individual with exceptional leadership, creative, and organizational skills.
Serving the Tribal communities for fifty years we continue to grow and take pride in providing very high quality services to our Native American clients. Our clinics are located along the rural northern California coastal and inland areas, and are known for Redwoods, rivers and beautiful mountains. Arcata is also the home of Humboldt State University.
As Behavioral Health Director this position is responsible for overseeing our behavioral health and substance abuse programs, including administrative supervision for two dozen staff members. Funding for these programs is through a combination of general operating funds, specific Indian Health Service and other government and charitable organization grants, and third-party insurance payments. The Behavioral Health Director works closely with other clinical division leaders to ensure achievement of the organization’s mission, philosophy, and guiding principles in response to the identified needs of the community it serves.
The successful candidate will possess and ability to provide the following:
• Assigning caseloads and other duties, and coordinate activities of staff in providing counseling services to assist clients.
• Assisting behavioral health staff through individual and group supervision and/or case meetings in analyzing clinical issues and improving treatment skills.
• Reviewing case records, evaluates performance of staff members, and recommends indicated action.
• Developing and implementing departmental policy and procedures.
• Maintaining a caseload to counsel clients individually or in groups; provide crisis counseling as needed.
• Training new employees in required areas, including organizational and departmental policy and procedures, safety protocol, and electronic health record use.
• Providing in-service training for staff on pertinent clinical topics including confidentiality, mandated reporting, dual relationship, therapeutic approaches.
• Representing agency in community activities and at relevant multi-agency meetings.
• Promoting and support staff development activities.
• Serving as an active member of the Clinical Executive Committee.
• Working collaboratively with staff and managers in other UIHS sections to facilitate high-quality care.
Candidate must be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist or Clinical Psychologist with five years or more of clinical experience and have a minimum of two years’ experience in clinical supervision and program management. Must also meet applicable regulatory agency’s requirements to provide clinical supervision to Interns, Associates, Trainees and Students.
United Indian Health Services provides very competitive compensation and clinic hours that support a positive work/life balance. We also provide generous personal and holiday leave, employer-paid medical, dental, vision & life insurance coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching contribution, and we are designated as a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) site providing support for student loan debt repayment.